- June 8 Ministry of Education (1 deputy minister, 3 offices, 4 bureaus, 10 divisions, 52 divisions—including 1 temporary organization, 650 officials—including 8 temporary employees) The Future Education Division was temporarily established, and the name of several organizations was changed (Vocational Education Policy Division → Academic-industrial Partnership Policy Division, Future Lifelong Education Bureau → Lifelong Education Bureau, Future Education Planning Division → Talent Development Policy Division, Secondary Vocational Education Policy Division → Vocational Education Policy Division). The role of some sub-organizations was modified as well.
- March 1 Ministry of Education (1 deputy minister, 3 offices, 4 bureaus, 10 divisions, 51 divisions, 634 officials) Reorganization was carried out for effective policy implementation (new division: Regional Innovation University Support Division, High School Education Innovation Division; division integration: Education Job Division + Academic-industrial Partnership Policy Division → Academic-industrial Partnership Employment Policy Division; division separation: Junior College Policy Division → Junior College Policy Division + Junior College Support Division). The role of some sub-organizations was modified as well.
- June 25 Ministry of Education (1 deputy minister, 3 offices, 4 bureaus, 10 divisions, 51 divisions, 626 officials) To strengthen policy coordination in education, culture, and social services, under the leadership of the Deputy Minister and the Director General of Social Policy, the Social Policy Division was created.
- January 1 Ministry of Education (3 offices, 4 bureaus, 10 divisions, 49 divisions, 599 officials) Institutional reforms were made according to six national tasks and 30 actions plans in the field of education, adopted by the central government.
- March 1 Human resources required to establish and implement a national university management system and to promote teacher exchange programs for international cooperation are increased. Moreover, human resources to improve university libraries, cyber protection competencies, and customized educational services for students from multicultural families are increased.
- September 20 History Textbook Compilation Office is temporarily established under the National Institute of Korean History until November 30, 2017 to direct the development and implementation of government-authorized textbooks/books.
- July 20 The Character Education Promotion Act (Law No. 13004, enacted in January 20, 2015), implemented in July 21, is revised to establish a national/social base that supports character education. The National Basic Living Security Act is revised to reassign work related to educational expenses, from the Ministry of Health & Welfare to the Ministry of Education. Human resource required to promote character education and educational expenses is increased, and work related to the development and implementation of digital textbook is transferred from the School Policy Division to the Education Safety Information Division for an effective management.
- May 26 Human resources necessary to reinforce a comprehensive management of school safety, university structural reform, and personal information protection are increased.
- January 6 The lower branch of the Ministry of Education is reorganized to support school safety and to fortify university-related policies. Human resource is increased to enhance the quality of Junior Colleges in improving the employment rate of youths and to promote school safety.
- November 19 Ministry of Education (3 offices, 3 bureaus, 11 divisions, 49 divisions, 518 officials) With the amendment of the Government Organization Act, the Minister of Education held concurrently the post of the Deputy Prime Minister in charge of education, culture, and social services, and the Director General of Social Policy was appointed.
- August 14 Human resources necessary to integrate liberal arts and natural sciences curriculum in high school as well as to develop and employ future-oriented, high quality textbooks are increased.
- March 1 Educational issues such as student financial aid policy, support for students with multicultural background, temporary employees in schools, and temporary employees' work conditions are promoted. Human resource required for the above work is increased.
- September 17 Student safety, university students' start-ups, personal information protection system, and support for Government 3.0 are reinforced. Human resource required for the above work is increased.
- March 23 Ministry of Education (3 offices, 3 bureaus, 10 divisions, 49 divisions, 518 officials) The MOE’s functions associated with basic research, research and development, nuclear energy, scientific and technological manpower, and science and technology promotion were transferred to the newly established Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning (including 202 officials).